Sunday, August 15, 2010

America's Grape Country Wine Festival

Yesterday I went to the Chautauqua County Fairgrounds in Dunkirk, NY to attend America's Grape Country Wine Festival. I had an AMAZING time. This was the first I've heard of the event, although this is its third year. I plan on going every year from now on! The event is 2 days, but I only went the first day. Let me tell you, next year I'll probably go both days. I didn't get to go to every booth! There were so many wineries...and they were pouring many wines...and healthy portions too! Plus I attended 3 seminars which also served wine...and healthy portions there too! I soooo wanted a Sangria wine slushie from Merritt, but I couldn't as I had to drive home. Ugh. It wasn't just wine either. They had some great food products-sauces, chocolates, nuts, and more. They also had beauty products (grapeseed oil) and even cigars! There was live music (great bands too). The first was a blues band and the second did classic rock. But it was the wineries that really stood out. I wound up missing a lot of my favorites and concentrated on places with which I was unfamiliar. One truly unique one was Pazdar Winery. They produce "unique hand crafted wines with attitude". I've never seen such unusual wines-peppermint, cinnamon...they even have wines made with habenero peppers!!!! A new favorite of mine is Thousand Islands Winery. I really enjoyed talking wine with Craig..who I discovered later is actually the winemaker! I loved all their wines, but, La Crescent and Raspberry Isle really stood out for me. I had a phenomenal day and already can't wait til next year to go again!

No comments: