Saturday, February 28, 2009

Rant on Writing

I am not a rigid grammarian. I make up words (grammarian), flaunt certain grammatical rules (starting a sentence with a conjunction, not always qualifying "this"), I check my spelling, but sometimes make errors and/or typos and I fragment some sentences and make comma mistakes. However, I am sick and tired of people writing like a bunch of idiots! i dun now, wat u think? And all this chat speak, is driving me crazy. It's fine to use if you are being charged for every character you write, or if there's a time limit, or you're making notes for yourself, but if you're posting an e-mail or writing a story it's just not right. I'm all for using some abbreviations, LOL and OMG, for instance, but things (i can't call them sentences) like "w8 4 it. u are lk rlly rong i luv u" How on earth are people supposed to take you seriously? Some people don't capitalize anything and apparently refuse to consider punctuation. Are you trying to channel archie? You are not a cockroach, you have the ability to use the shift key to capitalize your letters...not ALL of them, mind you. Sigh. I don't know if I'm just getting old or what, but sloppy writing is driving me crazy! Learn to write and take the time to do it properly!

2 comments:

Steph said...

I couldn't agree more. When hiring new people for my team, the recruiters asked me to stop giving an editing test because no one could pass it. They spend too much time writing incorrectly that they can't even recognize when it is wrong!

Katreader said...

The dumbing down of America. Sad, really.