Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Animal Art

Animals are creative, yes, artistic beings. Animals in captivity especially need an outlet for expression and creativity and many zookeepers have found that many animals in their care enjoy painting. The artwork is also beautiful. Many zoos now let the animals become artists and their artwork is sold with the proceeds benefiting the zoo. A few years ago I went to the Buffalo Zoo and watched one of the elephants paint on canvas. I went to the gift shop and was able to purchase one of her paintings. Not only is it a unique piece of artwork, it's also beautiful, and the money went towards a good cause. This Saturday I hope to add to my collection. Seneca Park Zoo is having an auction of artwork created by many different zoo residents. I previewed a few of the pieces today. I adore the ones made by the cougar and the river otters. The elephants also created a very pretty piece. I'm afraid that I won't be able to get any of those. It is an auction and I have a feeling people will be paying big bucks. Oh well, I'm sure it'll be an entertaining evening even if I don't bring anything home with me. Maybe I need to get my kids some paints! The picture is Admiral, one of the River Otters working on his contribution.

No comments: