Saturday, January 19, 2008

Paranormal

I've always been interested in the paranormal. Ghosts, psychics, ESP, all these types of things pique my curiosity. I have a good portion of my library devoted to the subject and I have many versions of tarot cards and other forms of divination. I love to read about the subject, nonfiction and folklore-not horror stories. In fact I'm currently reading Ghost: Investigating the Other Side by Katherine Ramsland. I've even encountered a ghost myself, while in college (and no, I wasn't drinking at the time). I also have an interest in Utopian Societies and religious revival in the mid 1800's. The Western New York area, especially around Rochester, was, in fact, known as "the burned-over district" because of the waves of religious revival that passed through the area. Both Mormonism and Spiritualism were born near Rochester, NY.

People have studied paranormal phenomenon for ages. The Society for Psychical Research was founded in England in 1882 with an American Branch formed in 1885. Nowadays there are many reality TV shows featuring ghost hunters, Ghost Hunters, Most Haunted, and now Paranormal State. Personally, I like Ghost Hunters. The lead investigators are actually plumbers-who know all about weird noises! I enjoy the subject-although I'd be scared silly if I encountered another spirit; I think I prefer the research to the actual discovery! I was thrilled to see a Paranormal Spot on Fanpop. (You knew the Fanpop plug was coming, didn't you?!) I added a ton of great links, but no one's rated them yet. Dang! So, if you're interested in the paranormal, check out my links on that site. If you really like them, join Fanpop and rate them! Thanks, and may you only find good spirits!

No comments: