Sunday, January 13, 2008

Don't Rush!

Here's a lesson for all of us. Don't rush! I was getting ready to go out last evening, but I wanted to get the Christmas tree out of the house before I left. I should have cleared a good path-but no, I was in a hurry. I just bulldozed my way through the house, knocking things over, slamming the door as I struggled with the tree. When I came back in I closed the door and saw it-the back doorknob was broken. Try as I might I could not open the door. So I went out the front door (which I can't unlock from the outside) and was able to open the back door from the outside. I had to leave the house-so I left the front door unlocked, just in case I couldn't get in the back. When I returned home I worked on trying to fix the knob. No luck. In fact the twist turn fell into the knob and I couldn't get it out. I also realized I knocked 2 bags of treats off the counter-which Barrett polished off! So I woke up early to go to Home Depot to buy a new doorknob. I brought it home, realized I didn't get a match to the other-but too bad. It took me a while, but I was able to keep the old lock side (so I wouldn't need a different key) and just changed the inside knob. I got it fixed-but what a pain.

So, instead of taking 10-15 minutes to carefully remove the tree, or simply waiting a day, I wound up wasting several hours, gas money, and money for a new lock. I hope I learned my lesson.

No comments: