Saturday, June 27, 2009

Scare

I had a bit of a scare this morning. I went into the rat room to give Paulie his medication. I saw Vinnie and Vito (his cage mates) in the hammock, but I didn't see Paulie. I looked in the igloo...no Paulie. All the other rats came out to check what was going on...but no sign of Paulie. He couldn't be seen at all, and the teepee looked empty. I reached in and felt the teepee and felt a body-Paulie's lost so much weight from the cancer he barely made a bump in the fabric. However, I felt him inside, but no movement. Oh no, he had gone into the teepee to die. Suddenly, his little face peeked out, "Hello, looking for me?" He clambered out and climbed out of the cage as I breathed a sigh of relief and started getting his medication ready. I looked for him and he had his face in the dixiecup of blueberry syrup and was having a blast. I let him chow down a bit then held him as I mixed some syrup with his Prednisone. He happily took his medicine and rejoined his brothers. The little guy gave me a scare, I just hope he can stay with us for a long time.

No comments: