Friday, March 21, 2008

Good Friday

Today is Good Friday. When I was young this was one of my favorite days of the year...even though I couldn't eat meat. Of course, I'd be on Easter vacation, so no school. Then my parents and I, along with Aunt Bert and sometimes a friend of mine, would start our Good Friday tradition, a tradition common among Polish Americans. We visit 7 churches on Good Friday. It might me difficult now, with all of the church closings, but back then there were churches every few blocks in Buffalo, NY. We'd still be driving, but it wasn't far between them. We'd go to each church, say a prayer or two, admire the architecture, and light a candle. After all 7 churches we'd wind up near the Broadway Market. Oh the wonderful smells, hyacinths mingled with fresh sausage, breads, chocolates and more. It was so crowded-I wasn't fond of that part-but it was something else. After buying our goodies we'd go back to my grandparents house and eat. Today is supposed to be a somber day for Catholics, but for me, it was always a fun one!

No comments: