Monday, February 7, 2011

Dylan

 I remember when I went to pick up Dylan and his brothers, Aquinas, and Harrison. He did not want to be picked up and ran and ran and ran around his cage. When he was finally brought out, Debbie laughed and said, "This one will give you problems". Although he was a sweet baby, he was overshadowed a bit by both of his brothers-who are extraordinarily outgoing. But he was a wonderful rat. Everything was going well. In fact, he was the only one who did not try to dominate his nephews and their cagemates when I began introductions. He stayed out of all the fighting. Then, a week ago, I noticed that something was wrong. He wasn't walking properly and seemed more quiet that usual. I thought he had had a stroke. The next day we went to the vet and I noticed a weight loss. I don't know how I missed seeing that! But he was eating and eating well, enjoying his treats. We started him on medications and he seemed to perk up. Then he started going downhill. We upped his meds-but he was getting worse. Suddenly he appeared to have difficulty eating. It looked as though he couldn't support his own body. Both of his brothers looked after him, grooming him and taking turns sleeping by him. This morning when I went in I knew that he wouldn't last the day. I held him for a bit, then put him back with his brothers. When I looked in on them again I found both Aquinas and Harrison sleeping with him in their teepee. Dylan was still alive, but I knew he was nearing the end. I left him with his brothers. The next time I went in I saw that Aquinas was on the 3rd level of the cage and Harrison was in the igloo-I knew then that Dylan was gone. Dylan crossed the rainbow bridge early this evening with his brothers by his side. We will all miss him. He died way too young.

Dylan
9/10/09 - 2/7/11

No comments: