Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Good Deed

"So shines a good deed in a weary world." Willy Wonka said it at the end of Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and I can say it now. I delayed my after work drink as I had to wait to go to the post office, which doesn't open til 8:30. Although I mailed out all of my Easter cards, I still had to post my Easter box to my goddaughter and her sisters. 8:30 came and off I went. I got to the post office to find the manager explaining that they couldn't transact any business as the computers were all down. It seems the problem started yesterday-the employees can't log onto the postal system computer and nothing can be done. The problem isn't just at my little branch, nor is it just a local problem. Nationwide the US postal system is off line! They were able to do some things yesterday, as they were eventually able to get on-but it's off again, and no clue when it'll be working again. I gasped-"my Easter package won't get there on time". Also, since I work nights I'm going to bed, and when I wake up the post office will be closed, and who knows when they'll be able to work. Understanding my plight (his wife works nights too) the manager used the scale in the lobby-which isn't quite accurate, but close, and guesstimated the price of my box. I then gave him cash and he'll post my box whenever the system comes back on line. If I overpaid-he'll send the change with my letter carrier, if I underpaid I can come back tomorrow and pay the rest. It's nice to know the people and be known (I frequent my post office quite often.) So much for technology. But, praying the system will work at some point today, my Easter presents should make it to Illinois in time.

1 comment:

Steph said...

That was very nice of him. Not many people would do that for someone they don't know.