Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Steampunk

When I first stumbled upon the word "steampunk" I said, "What the heck is that?" With a little research I was more informed and infinitely more intrigued. I think steampunk is very cool! So, what is it. Steampunk is an era that never was. It is an alternate reality that combines Victorian England (usually England, at any rate...and sometimes the Edwardian period) with modern technology. Lots of dirigibles and clockwork. It's a time where steam power was the main form of power. The term came into fashion in the 1980's and 1990's, but examples can be found much earlier than that. Steampunk originated as a form of speculative fiction-a sub-genre of science fiction, but can now be found in fashion, jewelry, and even music. If you want to picture steampunk think of HG Wells and the TV show The Wild Wild West. The more I learn about steampunk, the more intrigued I become. I think I need to get some goggles!

No comments: