Thursday, December 9, 2010

Snickers

I adopted Snickers from a local rat rescue along with his friend, Josef in February 2008. Snickers was never a cuddly rat. I remember at the rescue, the person there scooped him up in a can and "poured" him into my hands. When he just sat there she remarked, "Wow, you're the first person he hasn't bit". Needless to say, I took the poor young guy with me. Although he never bit me, Snickers wasn't really a friendly rat. He got along well with Josef (who was an absolute love) and tolerated me, although he never liked to be petted or held. Every attempt at introducing him with other boys was a disaster-he attacked all. When Josef crossed the rainbow bridge, Snickers remained alone-still not liking other rats. Amazingly, Snickers lived a long time after Josef's passing, but he crossed the rainbow bridge this afternoon. He was 3 years and almost 3 months old-with a huge tumor that he had for months. Just last night I had him out running around the room while I cleaned his cage; yes, he could still get along quite well. In fact, when it came time to put him back, it took me a while for me to find my grumpy old man. I gave him a cuddle (which I could feel him shrug off) and put him in his cage. He found his dentabone, which he grabbed and carried to the top level of his cage. That being said, I was surprised to find him dead this afternoon. He was very old-but he was full of life to the end. I will miss my grumpy old man-but I'm pleased he'll finally be with his buddy, Josef, again.

Snickers
September 16 2007 - December 9, 2010

No comments: