Sunday, April 18, 2010

The 11th Doctor

Last night was the premiere of the new season of Doctor Who with its latest incarnation, the 11th doctor. It was with some trepidation that I began to watch; from the pictures I'd seen of Matt Smith (the actor now playing The Doctor) I wasn't too impressed. Too young, not at all attractive, could he live up to the part? I adore Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant was brilliant, how would the new guy do? I'm happy to say that I enjoyed his first outing. I'm still a bit put out that he and his companion look sooo young. I know, I know, Rose was 18 when she went off with the 9th doctor, and this Amy is 21 (met him at 7, returned 12 years later, then another 2-you can check my math) but she looks 15! And Rose, though young seemed older, if a bit common (sorry-love you, but it's true.) I guess as I'm more mature (ahem) I prefer a more worldly doctor. He is 907 now, after all. He can be young, but should at least have old eyes (which I believe Tennant did. Plus he's only 4 years younger than me while Eccleston is 4 years older. I don't know how old these new people are.) But...I did enjoy the story-and I do like the new Doctor and new companion them together. I'm not sure I'll be running out to own them on DVD, but I will be tuning in to every episode.

No comments: