Saturday, November 19, 2011

Intuitive

Dogs are very intuitive. Even if something has never happened to them, they know it's coming...and run! Sam had to go back to the vet this morning. Skin issues he's had since I've gotten him haven't gone away. I won't go into the fancy names, but he's got a couple things going on. For the lumps on his feet-the doc injected them with steroids. Ouch! For the itchy back-a shampoo. I need to give Sam a bath with medicated shampoo twice a week for 2 weeks, then we go back to the vet. After the vet Sam accompanied me as I stopped at the feed store. I needed to get rat food as well as bag balm for Sam's nose. Sam got some treats from the owners and I took him home before running more errands. When I got back-it was time for Bath #1. I prepared the bathroom then encouraged Sam to come upstairs...which he did. He then saw me in the doorway of the bathroom, turned around and ran back downstairs. Keep in mind-I have never given Sam a bath in this house! I tried to get Sam back upstairs...no deal. I tried again, and he came up. I got him in the bathroom. Then I had to get him in the tub. These are the times I half wish I had a smaller dog as I tried to get 79 pounds of not quite willing dog into the tub. At my first attempt he went limp and lay down in the cat's water bowl. But then I got him in. Collar taken off and warm water started. According to the directions I had to put enough shampoo to get a good lather, then rinse and repeat. Here's the fun part, at the second application you had to let it stay on him 5-10 minutes before rinsing. Fortunately, Sam was a good boy and just stood there. He couldn't get out of the tub on his own anyway...I don't think. Anyway, I rinsed him off and helped him out. Of course, we were both fairly wet! Well, 1 bath down, 3 to go!

No comments: