Sunday, October 16, 2011

Blog Action Day - Food

Today is Blog Action Day, a day when bloggers worldwide post about a certain subject. This year's theme is food. Although I haven't been blogging as regularly as I should-I knew I needed to post today!

There have been so many recalled food items lately-from pre-made salads, spinach, beef, and more. Is food no longer safe to eat? Many people are starting more and more to grow their own. The veggie garden is coming back in style. I've always grown a few herbs and have several fruit trees/vines/bushes. Now I'm considering expanding, even though I'm not adept at "putting my crops up" yet. But there's a lot of food I can't, and don't want, to grow/raise. An old, but seemingly new, concept is becoming quite popular-becoming a locavore. What is a locavore? A locavore is a person who eats locally whenever possible; food grown or raised generally within a 100 mile radius from where you live. In Western NY it's pretty easy. We even have local maple syrup, fantastic wines-even beers and distilled spirits! Of course, there are certain foods that can't be grown in this region...and I just bought some imported beer...all the way from Poland. I guess that's a little more than 100 miles away. Still, although I may not be a true locavore-I do try to eat locavorically quite often. So check out those farmer's markets, look up local wineries and breweries, chances are you have good food options close by-don't depend on food that had to travel for days to get to you.

No comments: